About Me

My photo
I am just one mom blogging my thoughts, observations, and concerns. There is no right or wrong to much of this; this is simply what I believe in, what I have found out on my own through my own experiences, and what I have discovered through my own research. I will share tips and tricks, educational pieces, and I will bring light and attention to concerns. This is a family friendly blog and a place for support and encouragement. Negativity, attacking, judging, and cursing is tacky and will not be tolerated.

Monday, August 4, 2014

The Real Secret to Curbing That Sweet Tooth

We have all heard and read about all the many different ways to cut back on sugar in an attempt to eliminate it completely from our daily diet. There's the 21 day sugar detox, the 5 (Realistic) Ways to Curb Your Sugar Cravings, 7 Days So Sugar Free, 12 Ways to Cut Back on Sugars, Tips and Tricks to Curbing Your Sweet Tooth, Break The Sugar Addiction, Sugar Detox, 13 Tips to Sugar Free, 10 Tips to Curbing Your Sweet Tooth, How to Curb Your Sweet Tooth Naturally,  The Simple 3 Step to Sugar Free. We have read articles after article, blog after blog, we have bought countless books, and we have spent way more money than we are comfortable admitting on costly sugar detox programs guaranteeing us weight loss, higher energy levels, and an overall life transformation. These programs range anywhere from three day to thirty days. There is the three day detox, the five day detox, the seven day detox, the ten day detox, the fourteen day detox, the twenty one day detox, and the thirty day detox and we have tried them all! And the majority of us are still looking for the simple answer to curbing that sweet tooth of ours. Well, at least I know I was!

So what is the answer? It's actually quite simple in theory, make the conscious effort, practice self control and will power. Now, this is easier said than done. This can actually prove to be rather difficult and overwhelming. So here are some tips and tricks that I have found help me cut back on my sugar intake and curb my sweet tooth naturally and without artificial sweeteners.
(I will have another post on artificial sweeteners soon!).

  1. Grocery shop after eating, this way you are satisfied and shopping with your grocery list and not with your stomach.
  2. Have a list and try to stick to it, it's ok to detour from it a bit but try not to detour too much, caving to impulses will lead to sweets and treats in your cart.
  3. Avoid temptations, out of sight, out of mind. Examples:
    • Our local coffee shop has the best carrot cake and I like to go there for lunch and the occasional coffee. So what do I do? I know what I want before I head in, I go straight to the counter to place my order, I do not peruse the fresh baked goods or give the menu a second look. Once I order I sit around the corner and away from the baked goods and other treats.
    • I completely avoid certain aisles and sections at the grocery store. I steer clear of the ice cream aisle, the bakery, and the baking aisle (I have a weakness for frosting!)
    • Before going to dinner at or with friends or family, I have my own appetizer type plate (veggies and hummus, piece or two of fruit, toast with avocado, etc.). This way I know when I get there I won't be in starving mode and I can focus on making healthy choices and after my dinner there will simply be no room for dessert! (works every time!)
  4. Keep it out of the house. This is not as easily done for those who have family members who are not concerned about it and continue to have their own treats. I do not think many people realize just how hard it is for the person who is trying to cut something out of their diet to have visual temptations every time they go to the freezer and/or pantry. It's not fair, it's unsupportive, it's insensitive, it's even down right rude if you've voiced your known struggle and asked for consideration....but alas, this is your decision and your battle, so what you can do if they seem to be oblivious to your struggle? First, ask them nicely to keep it elsewhere so you don't have a constant and daily reminder and temptation. If they refuse to acknowledge you and your feelings then to make your journey easier you should keep your food elsewhere (a back pantry, a closet that has space, a lost cupboard that has nothing in it, get your own small fridge with a freezer, etc.)
  5. Stock up on healthy yet filling foods, if you are full you won't have room for sweets!
    Want something semi sweet? Grab an apple and slice it thin, go for an orange, get a small bowl of grapes or berries, etc.
    Want something with some crunch? Grab some carrots, cucumbers, or celery and dip into humus.
    Want something filling? Grab a banana or two, have a pea protein shake, make a piece or two of whole grain toast with a light spread of olive oil and topped with avocado (healthy fats!)
  6. Brush your teeth when a craving hits, for me, once I brush my teeth and get minty fresh breath I do not want to ruin it. This has saved me several times!
  7. Go to bed by 9:30/10pm if you can. A lot of late night cravings strike around 10pm.
  8. Find time for you, a lot of us who struggle with sweets and cravings are 10Xs more likely to cave in and indulge when we are stressed out. I know in our busy and hectic schedules it's hard to squeeze in much more but try to set aside 30-60 minutes a day of you time. Morning coffee in silence before the kids wake up, an hour of mindless television or silence when the kids go to bed). Go for a walk, exercise, meditate, read, listen to music, draw, paint, whatever it is that you can do for just you to "reset" your mood and mind and let go of stress and feel refreshed.
  9. Keep your fridge and your freezer full of fruits. The natural sweetness in the fruits will help take the edge off. A bowl of pineapple is not quite the same as the dark chocolate truffle melting in your mouth but over time your tastes will change and your cravings will change and soon the fruit will be enough. It takes time to reset your taste buds and retrain your brain; you are essentially breaking an addiction and that takes times.
  10. READ LABELS AND BE PATIENT AND FORIGVING WITH YOURSELF.

In short, reducing and curbing your sugar cravings takes education, time, patience, and forgiveness. In our fast paced, instant gratification filled world everyone now a days wants the three day miracle pill or the five day cure all plan, but that is not the case. Reducing the sugar in your life and breaking the sugar addiction takes time and patience. Now there will be slip ups on the way and you will fall off at some point down the road but do not beat yourself up just get right back on.

Now when I just can't take it anymore and absolutely must have a little sweet something, I make it! Homemade will always be better than store bought because you can control the other ingredients that go into it. (Seriously, have you ever looked at the ingredients on a can of frosting?! Gross.) And this is one of the few times I will praise the internet, it is great for so many reasons in this aspect because there are blogs, postings, websites, Pinterest boards, etc., and dedicated to nothing else but quitting sugar, detoxing from sugar, breaking the sugar addiction, or whatever you want to call it. Yu will find with a bit of research and very little effort on your part that there truly are so many fantastic recipes out there that you can use without adding sugar or artificial sweeteners and in my opinion they are better than the sugar filled items!

I want to stress that these tips and tricks are what have helped me to slowly get to where I am today but I was not perfect and still had the occasional slip up and would allow myself the occasional indulgence. I have now completely cut out all white refined sugars and added sugars and obtain any sweetness I may desire from natural sources (fruit, dried dates, fresh real maple syrup) The key to long term success is to go into it knowing it is long term and knowing that is takes time, patience, and self forgiveness. Those 3 day plans, 7 day detoxes, 21 day whatever set you up for failure at the end because you have given yourself a time frame and there is no time frame. This is a life change, a brain pattern change, and a process that takes time, will power, and persistence. Do not give up, you will get there

1 comment:

  1. Please leave any tips, tricks, and/or suggestions that you like and have worked for you so that the other readers who are struggling with sugar addiction have a full arsenal of tools and coping mechanisms.

    ReplyDelete